Take The Leap.
"either find a way, or make one"
1. 3D depth and realism
The 3D trend reached its peak in 2019 and it certainly won’t fade away so quickly. Thanks to the opportunities of modern technology and software capabilities, in 2020, we will keep seeing more awesome 3D graphic design compositions. Moreover, in order to be more creative, designers will often combine it with other realities, such as photos and 2-dimensional objects.
2. Going monochrome
Lately, we’ve been seeing a tendency of graphic and web designers using a monochromatic color effect on pictures. Remember the duotone craze from graphic design trends 2017? It turns out, the trend has now evolved into an even more simplified version. A monochrome color filter is widely used on photos or partial elements in graphic composition. Have a look.
3. Shiny metals
Using metallic materials in graphic design has established as ultra trendy for branding identity and product design. By rule, this trend requires a minimalist overall design, since the focus falls on the metallic effect itself. We’re noticing the designers mostly use gold – it conveys luxury, class, and good taste. But the metallic effect can also be achieved by using shiny surfaces over matte surfaces in any color.
To make the effect even more impressive, branding specialists combine this trend with relief engraving for brand identity physical materials such as business cards.
4. Typography craze
In order to create more innovative and modern compositions, designers are playing with typographybig time. This trend is expected to flourish in 2020. Figuratively and literally!
Decorated with beautiful flowers, geometric shapes, and more creative elements, artistic typography is certainly the perfect solution to nail the attention. Combined with the maxi typography trend from graphic design trends 2019, artistic typography in 2020 will really stand out.
Speaking of maxi typography, the trend has certainly proved as a stable one and we’ll keep seeing it. In fact, in 2020 maxi typography will be so maxi that designers will split the words into multiple lines.
When it comes to thickness, the rule is – the thicker, the better. Heavy fonts and lettering are already flooding the world of graphic design. We see them in logos, on posters, on web designs, and even on package design. Once again, the letters will be huge, and may even go beyond the composition’s edges.
Another huge trend about typography for the upcoming year would be drawing shapes with it. What do we mean? Twirls, circles, or simply curves following the curves of other elements in the design. The shapes can be 2-dimensional and even 3-dimensional. A big hit is creating 3d objects with words such as cubes, stairs, and more.
5. Image and text maskingImage and text masking isn’t a new technique to the design world but it still looks quite modern in 2020. As it leaves a big portion of the image behind unrevealed, it helps achieve a mysterious and minimalist look. In 2020, designers will keep creating compositions with image and text masking, of course sticking to maxi typography for the latter in order to achieve the desired effect.
6. Line artThe trend of outline typography and elements which have been quite mass during 2018 and 2019 is now evolving into fully illustrated and animated line art patterns and designs. In its essence, line art is a schematic, simplified illustration style. As such, it is great for conveying concepts and ideas. It looks clean, elegant, and unobtrusive. Line art is one of the preferred decoration styles in graphic design trends 2020.
7. Collages of drawings and photosWe’ve been witnessing a quite interesting and creative trend in graphic design which reminds us of the drawings we used to make on our notebooks in school, i.e. doodling. Doodling has started as a fun trend in the world of illustration but quickly became such a hit that we see it on designs all over the web.
When used in graphic design, doodling helps to achieve a more informal, personalized, handcrafted, and overall fun feeling of the composition.
8. Simplified illustrationsUsing illustrations in graphic design isn’t anything new. In fact, designers often incorporate illustrations to convey concepts and ideas and communicate messages better. When it comes to graphic design trends 2020, simple illustrations will be a top choice.
9. Isometric illustrationsIsometric illustrations have been in the listing of trends for many years, and logically, they have gone through many transformations. Often used for infographic design, web design, and presentation design, they are a preferred style because of their capability to illustrate a 3-dimensional object on a 2-dimensional surface.
10. Earthy colors: a sense of vintageEverything new is a well forgotten old. However, it’s definitely hard to forget the amazing 50s and the following trend confirms this. The 50s are a huge source of inspiration for designers. By using earthy color nuances and hand-drawn ink illustrations, web and graphic designers are creating compositions that convey the home-feeling of 50s’ designs.
11. Patterns and texturesPatterns and textures were off the stage for quite a bit when flat design reigned the web. Now we see a rise in the use of patterns and texture but not necessarily used in the traditional way. Combining several patterns in one design or only sections of pattern covering the screen will be the norm in 2020.
12. Geometric designsEveryone involved in graphic design and art will tell you – it all comes down to basic geometric shapes. And since many designers are aiming for simplicity in their design, using plain geometric shapes is still one of the leading trends in the field for 2020. Geometric designs may look simple but they actually require a lot of work in order to recreate a composition that carries the right meaning for people to grasp.
13. LiquidsAs opposed to geometric shapes which have strictly fixed edges and curves, liquidy shapes suggest creativity, agility, and movement. Leaving out the edges helps achieve a smooth, soft look which many designers want to recreate. As such, they definitely make it into graphic design trends 2020, often combined with other effects, such as semi-transparency, bright colors and color gradients, animations, etc.
To conclude,Graphic design trends 2020 are super diverse and impressive! In 2020, we will see amazing design work with typography, mesmerizing color combinations, a blast from the past with retro-style designs, line art, doodling, and many more amazing trends.
Hi, My name is Edwin Nchaga and I am a Graphic Designer and Web designer from Nairobi, Kenya at Magnate Designs. I create result-driven and vibrant designs with respect to color psychology, user satisfaction and current design trends. I explore professional Website Design and UI Design as well, I offer Branding Consultation, motion graphics and many more. I am looking forward to working with you.